Friday, August 01, 2008

Back to making yarn!

I've been back to spinning and dyeing, half in an attempt to "train" for the Ravelympics, half to clear off the half-spun yarn from my spindles so they'll be free.

I'm really proud of this yarn:




The one strand is wool and the other (the shiny one) is silk, and since the colors of the two matched perfectly, I plied them together. This is the most even yarn I've spun so far! It's only about 32 yards, though, so I'm not sure what I want to make out of it yet.

Next is this yarn that I spun months ago but dyed yesterday:

This yarn is really thick and thin because it was one of my very early ones (the third, I think). I never got around to dyeing it until yesterday, though; I used Wilton's cake dye. The picture doesn't do the colors justice- there's more purple in it than it looks, and it really looks tie-dyed.

And last are drawings that I did of the characters my best friend and I roleplay.

This is my character- she's a centaur bard.


And this is my best friend's- she plays a warrior. I think I'm getting better at drawing people, but the centaur halves need work. It's been about a decade since I last drew a horse, so I'm rusty.

My fiancé gave me the idea that the next thing I draw I should scan before I color; I say that because then I'd have a copy of the original. In the case of the black centaur, it looked a LOT better before I colored it- the colored pencils covered up all the shading I had done. Well, now I know for next time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...