Tuesday, August 05, 2008

More experiences in dyeing

Yesterday I dyed the second skein I had spun from that horrible pink roving.

This is what it looked like before I redyed it:


And the one on the left is what it looked like after I redyed it:

(Although it's a bit darker than it looks- the flash distorted it.) The one on the right is the one I had dyed the other day using various shades of red cake dye and food coloring, as well as a few tea bags. The new one on the left is what I got when I just used purple cake dye; personally, I like that one better, and am annoyed that that one ended up a smaller skein (I ran out of ugly roving).

Anyway, I just think it's neat to see the two skeins side by side and to see how different they look, even though they started out the same color.

Right now I'm spinning up some almost as old roving (I think it was from the batch I dyed after the ugly pink). The color is actually pretty, but the roving is still felted together. (Which is why I dye fiber as yarn rather than roving now...) The FAE team's exhibition this month is "Visions of Atlantis", so I was really happy when I realized that I had roving in sea green!

And hey, it matches my spindle!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...