Sunday, November 09, 2008

Yay, crochet!

Thanks to my awesome new mattress, my back has been feeling better so I've been able to crochet again (I was going crazy not being able to make things without ending up more sore!). It's still not feeling 100% better, but I'll take slight pain over not being able to crochet pain!

Anyway, this meant I was able to finish my entry for the EtsyHooker's Creative Challenge of "Hearth and Home" just in time! The point of the challenge was to make something for the home using Fall colors and that meant "comfort" to us. Since I'm the most comfortable while curled up in front of the tv with a warm blanket and a cup of tea (or hot chocolate) (and my cat on my lap and yarn in my hand, of course!), I decided to crochet a blanket. :)






It's made from wool yarn with leaves handsewn on. Two of the leaves are crocheted from acrylic yarn and the other 9 are cut out from felt (and then had the veins painted on in fabric paint). The only problem is that it's hard to see the veins of the leaves in the pictures I took because the light was horrible today- the sun wasn't out and a blanket can't fit in my lightbox.

But yeah, I'd love to sell it because we really need the money right now, but I kinda don't want to part with it, either, because I love the colors and the leaves (as a Greenleaf it's required that I love leaves, I guess. ;) ).

The voting for the challenge will go up tomorrow on the EtsyHookers team blog, so when it's up, please vote for your favorite! I'd love to win because I put so much work into it, but I know my teammates are so super talented that it's unlikely (that and I always tell people to vote for their favorites whenever I'm in a challenge type thing, and not to vote for me because I said so. Ugh, popularity contests. Makes me wish more people shared my Heraldic obsession with honor and truth tendencies. But I digress.)

Right now I'm working on the next square for the Pratchgan-along (this one is for The Light Fantastic). Josh has charted out the picture I'm going to cross stitch on, but I'm still trying to finish crocheting the square. As awesome as the afghan stitch is for cross stitching, I really don't like crocheting it, so it takes me longer than normal crochet would. I'm also going to start working on Christmas presents soon; I think everyone is getting handmade stuff this year (not too different from last year- I made most of the gifts, and the rest I bought off Etsy. This year I have less money (WAY less money) but fortunately I have a ton of art supplies).

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Wonderful!

Brandi said...

Aw, Meri, it's adorable and gorgeous all at the same time!

Merily said...

Aww, thank you! :D

Knitted Gems said...

Stunning, Meri! I LOVE the color and the leaves.

Merily said...

Thanks! The leaves were a lot of fun to make. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...