Friday, February 13, 2009

More adventures with my WTJ

I was going to post a picture of the drawing I did for Josh for Valentine's Day, but for some reason it didn't scan right so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow or something. I already gave it to him because I didn't know where to hide it so it wouldn't get wrinkled.

I do have pictures of my Wreck This Journal, though! I'm having so much fun with this, although I still can't bring myself to smear food in it. The thought that it might attract bugs really grosses me out. Anyway, here are the three most recent things I've done to the book:


One of the pages said to write/scribble on the edge of the pages, so I did. The top and bottom have a leafy vine design (because I draw leaves on everything. My name is quite apt), and the long side has my nickname, some stripes of my favorite colors (green, black, and hot pink), a star and another leaf. The long side and the bottom are in permanent marker, but I did the top in washable marker to see what would happen the next time the book gets wet. I predict a smeary mess, lol.

As you can see, the book is already getting hard to shut and I have to tie it closed with random leftover yarns. Eventually I'll tie it with matching yarn or ribbon, but I'll wait until these ones fall apart (soon, at the rate).


The "white things" page is my favorite so far. I decided to take it literally and drew in Gandalf the White (yeah yeah, I know he has a hat as the Grey, but I wanted to give him a hat here), the white tree of Gondor, Dwight the White (he's a character in our Dungeons and Dragons game), and Skandranon (the white gryphon). That was my first time ever drawing a gryphon, so it came out better than I expected, lol. I also taped in a random plastic skeleton that I had in my desk.

I still want to draw more white things/people from fandoms I like, but these were the only ones I could come up with so far. I may draw a picture of myself in my Whites (Heralds of Valdemar costume), but I'm not sure. I'm also still on the lookout for more random white things to glue in. :)

And the last page I've done, the "scratch" page:

I attacked this page with Sting (finally, a use for the sword on my wall!) and wrote "Frodo lives!". Then I attacked it with a pin and scratched in the elvish for "immortal spirit" that my friend translated for me years ago. (I'm going to get that elvish tattooed some day.) ...Actually, now that I think about it, my elvish phrase and the "Frodo lives" fit together quite nicely, lol. It's hard to see, though. The light in my room today is terrible, but using the flash just made it even harder to see.


And last, I want to share this goofy drawing that Josh did:

This is what happens when you mention wanting to sketch a White wizard or two to your goofy fiancé and he's in range of a whiteboard and marker. When I mentioned that Gandalf the White doesn't have a hat, he crossed it out. Then he drew Grima to differentiate between the two wizards, then added a hobbit with a shotgun, sunglasses, and shot glass. Honestly, this is the kind of thing that goes on in Josh's head. It's best not to ask. ;)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That journal looks really fun. I want one... <.< >.>

Merily said...

You should totally get one! I got mine for about $6 (well, $9 with shipping) off Amazon. I'm broke, so spending money isn't something I do much, but it was definitely money well spent! :)

Orion Designs said...

Meri - this project looks like fantastic fun. I might just get a few myself and give them to some of my uptight friends!
Vicki

Number One Novels said...

That made me laugh... Though, I don't know how I feel about destroying a book.

Merily said...

Vicki, you totally should! I'm trying to convince my fiancé and best friend to get copies because I think it would be fun to work on them together, but so far they haven't gotten them yet.

Number One Novels- yeah, I had to get over that at first, too. It helps that it's more of a journal/sketchbook than an actual book, and I've made a mess of those over the years, lol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...