Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Challenge entry, inspired jewelry, and custom listings, oh my!

I was going to put off this post until tomorrow, but I figured that since I already have so much to post about, it would be crazy to shove even more info into a later post. LOL!

So I'll get right into things. The first thing I wanted to talk about are the sleeves I finally finished! Yeah, the sleeves I started way back in March for the EtsyFAST "books" challenge. I was very lucky that May's challenge is "movies" or else I'd have had an extremely late entry! ;) I was also lucky enough to get my sister to model them for me, so hooray! That meant that I didn't have to try to get pictures of myself or get someone else to photograph me while I tried to direct them. ;)



Of course I picked "Lord of the Rings" as my inspiration for these themes ("The Two Towers" is my favorite of the trilogy), and since Eowyn is one of my favorite characters (what can I say, I love a feisty female Rohirrim!), I decided to make something in kind of her style. I ended up choosing sleeves because I love the long, flowing sleeves on her dresses (although these aren't exactly the same; these are my interpretation). The little white flowers are my version of Simbelmynë, the flower that grows on the tombs of Rohan and is pretty much the flower of Rohan. They can be found in three of my shops (I know, I know, I have to be careful in case they sell twice), my Etsy, Artfire, and iCraft.

Now I really would love to try to make more LotR-inspired things! :D

The next thing I wanted to share is this cartilage chain earring:


This one is special because one of my livejournal friends give me the inspiration to make it. She mentioned how her roomate would likely think my chain earrings with a cuff would be cool, and since I've also had a few friends mention that they love the style but don't have their cartilage pierced, I finally decided to try one out (I had bought the metal cuffs probably a year ago, but never got around to it). This was pretty much the kick in the butt I needed to get started, lol. I'll guess I'll start alternate making this kind of earring with the pierced kind so I get a few of both in my shops. :) This earring can be found on Etsy and Artfire.


And the last thing I wanted to talk about is that I decided to put listings in my shops for custom dolls/plushies. This week it occured to me "hey, people probably don't realize the kinds of plushies I can make, and probably don't know how to request things on Etsy/Artfire", so with the help of some of my teammates in EtsyFAST (thanks, guys!), I was able to put together two sorts of listings for my 6" plushies. The one is just for fairies and elves, and is cheaper because it isn't as customizable (that can be found here on Etsy and here on Artfire), and the other one is more expensive, but can be for anything (here on Etsy and here on Artfire). I'm also going to later make up those listings for 12" plushies, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to price them (because customizing ones that large can be very time consuming) and I'm also out of large eyes (I just ordered those, though). Hopefully by the time those eyes get here I will have sorted it out.

I am making an exception to the "free-for-all" completely customizable plushies, though; I refuse to make anything from horror movies or that are disturbing, gross, maimed, or otherwise not pleasant. I just don't want to look at those photos to base the plushies off of, and I don't want to have to crochet it. Art is my release and the thing that keeps me happy and cheerful, and I don't want to do anything to compromise that (because of my current health problem, it bothers me way too much to be around anything even remotely disturbing). Hopefully this won't be a problem, though, and people will just want cute things. :)

Oh hey, and my best friend signed up for Plurk! :D

And my internet isn't loading very well right now (did Dad forget to pay the cable bill? ;) ), so if I can get this to post, I should probably just go to bed.

4 comments:

Knitted Gems said...

I love the sleeves! They are very romantic.

Merily said...

Thank you! I really love the style- I may have to make more, and try out a style where it goes higher up your arm. :D

Carapace said...

I still don't realize all the kinds of plushies you make! But I am seriously thinking, now, since you're a Discworld geek too...I have to go check out that custom listing!

Merily said...

lol! I make all kinds, really, although mostly I've done ones for my Dungeons and Dragons group of their characters. :) I have most of the ones I've made (but never listed on Etsy since they were gifts, for me, or for a charity) on my website on the sold page: http://elflingcreations.com/sold.html#plushies

Heehee, actually my Death plushie is based on the Discworld Death (that's why I chose to give him blue eyes). I'd love to make other Discworld plushies, though! I mean, a Rincewind would be so cute! ...ooo, and there's a great idea for one to make my fiancé- he loves Rincewind (and I've even gotten him to dress as the Wizzard, lol).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...