Saturday, May 30, 2009

I think I invented Lawn Spinning

While spinning outside today and not seeming to be able to get it right, I invented a new outdoor sport that combines lawn darts with yarn- basically you spin on a spindle like normal, but every so often you drop the spindle into the grass so it gets stuck point down in the dirt, with the whorl and yarn safely above the ground. LOL! I'm just glad I wasn't using one of my bottom whorls today; that could have been disastrous! I think the problem was that I was trying to feed the roving in too quickly, or maybe the spindle wasn't spinning fast enough, because it just wouldn't hold the twist. Ah well, at least I got some done, and hopefully the rest will hold.

I just want to finish up this one so I can get to work on the AWESOME roving I got from Jazzturtle on Etsy. I have such a habit of starting yarns and not finishing them that I'm determined to finish this one I started back in the Fall. Heh.


And now it's time for your regularly scheduled hemp necklace update! (Seriously I still have about five of these things left to list from the last batch I made, lol!)

My "In the Heart of the Forest" Necklace/Anklet:

It's here in my Etsy shop and here in my Artfire shop.

I'm really surprised that this is my first really Woodland thing that I've made, and it's definitely the first thing I made that was inspired by Mirkwood. I mean, I'm a Thranduiliell; Mirkwood's my thing (I think I mentioned before that I've loved that place ever since my dad read me The Hobbit when I was six ...actually, that probably explains my extreme fear of spiders, LOL!). But now after making this (as well as those Shieldmaiden sleeves recently), I want to make more LotR or literature-inspired things. I'm still trying to decide if I should make the tags Lord of the Rings related or mention it in the listing, since it's inspired by it, not really related, you know? What do you think?

And to make this even dorkier, I keep typing "Forst" instead of "Forest"; that one totally comes from roleplaying a certain Herald for way too long when I was younger. ;)


I also wanted to mention that my crocheted kitty got featured on the ABST team blog on Friday. Thanks, Brenda! I know I still haven't made a post about that kitty- I'll do that sometime before the challenge I made her for goes up on the EtsyHookers blog.

4 comments:

mermaiden said...

i didn't know you did your own spinning, too- wow you are so multi talented! love the LOTR inspiration, keep it going. as for the tags, that's kind of tough, but i'd say put it in both places.

Merily said...

Aww, thanks! :D Yup, I know how to spin on top and bottom whorl spindles. I don't do it too often, though- it's fun, but it takes me so long that a lot of the time I don't have the attention span to finish a skein. Like right now I'm working on one I started in the fall, lol. I also don't spin up large quantities, so I've just used my handspun for small projects, like my goddess doll and one of my purses.

Awesome, I'm glad someone likes the idea. :D Okay, I'll do that with the tags. Thanks for your two cents! :)

angelthecat said...

This is lovely. I really like your blog.

Merily said...

Thank you! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...