Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ents, runes, and mavenness

First, I want to share my newest hemp necklace/anklet; this one is in that new style, and it's also going to be my entry for the Artfire Artisan Jewelers Guild's "Summer Solstice" challenge.



When making this tree-inspired beaded hemp necklace/anklet I kept getting the thought that it would be perfect for a fae who protects the forest. From there my natural thought was "Hey, Ents protect the forest!", and when I realized that the center tree charm resembles a rowan, the logical name choice involved Bregalad (or Quickbeam), one of the Ents who are the shepherds of the trees in "Lord of the Rings". I can't believe I haven't made anything Ent-inspired before; they're one of my favorite fantasy races. (Josh asked why I didn't name it after the Deku tree in "Legend of Zelda"- that's a great idea, and one I'll use next time.)

It can be found here in my Etsy shop and here in my Artfire shop.

I really love this necklace (who didn't see that one coming?), but I think if I make one for myself I'd try to use beads that are more silver than gold.


And here's a sneak peek at the runes I've been working on:

Those are the runes that started off Air and sort of morphed into Water. I think I'll call them "Tropical Breeze" or something to combine the two- look for more pictures (and listings) of those in the next few days. Well, as soon as the sun decides to come out, so I can get the photos. It's been a very rainy and cold spring; it feels more like early April than mid-June.


And some random info, in neat numbered bits:
1.) I'm going to be an Artfire maven! I'm not entirely sure what it entails, but I'm super excited to get to help out Artfire because I love that site! :D

2.) I am going to run that sale in my Artfire shop next week that I was thinking about doing in honor of my birthday, and I'm pretty sure I'm also going to give away free hemp bracelets to whoever buys from me, too. Look for more info on this late this weekend or early Monday. :)

3.) I finished the charm for the chainmaille necklace I've been planning. However, I've been feeling pretty crummy (and my back has been hurting from all this cold and rain) so I haven't started the maille yet. I'm hoping I'll feel up to that tomorrow, because I also need to get pictures of the weave for the "Technique Tuesday" for the Artisan Beaders blog. Bleh, I wish the sun would come out- I'd feel a lot better, methinks.

2 comments:

threadsofmagique said...

Beautiful necklace! and very Ent-like.

Merily said...

Thank you! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...