My blog has moved! Please visit elflingcreations.com for updates and art.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Hooray, my camera now has a home!

Still feeling pretty crummy and run down, but managed to finish the case I was crocheting for my camera (I had to finish it because I didn't want my camera to break!). Here it is:





Blarf (my camera) now has a home! I wanted it to be green, but didn't have enough green yarn for the whole thing (I was using up bits of yarn that I had in my stash, but I think that looks neat), so I used some black, too. Of course I gave it a leafy/foresty design. ;)

The inner black pouch comes out so I can easily remove the camera and keep it safe. The pouch on the side is for the cord that connects the camera to the computer, and the leaf on the front (it's kind of hard to see since it's green, too) is actually a pocket to hold extra batteries (hopefully this'll work- I made the hole at the top a bit too small, so it's a tight fit to get the batteries in and out). I made the strap purse length because I usually carry bags with the strap across my chest. There are ribbons tied on for color, a Celtic knot pendant over the part where it snaps shut, and random little leaf beads attached with jump rings.

I may give it a bit more embellishment in the future (like to paint veins on the leaf pocket so it stands out more), but I think it's cute. :D And hey, after seeing this, my mom wants me to make a larger purse with pockets for her. One of my friends also wants a case for her camera, but hers I'll make smaller (mine came out larger than I expected, but that's fine since I like larger bags) and with a wrist strap rather than a long strap. Oh, and smaller pockets for batteries that have a flap to keep them closed.


But I'm rambling. I also wanted to share the yarn that I finished about a week ago but finally got around to photographing the finished skein:

That's the Blue Skies yarn all skeined up. It's thick and thin yarn I spun up on one of my bottom whorl spindles using roving I got from Jazzturtle on Etsy. It's about 129 yards, and for all that it's thick and thin, at its widest point it's probably just worsted/medium. (The tag on the yarn is one of my leftovers from when I tagged things for a yard sale a few months ago- instead of throwing it away I wrote the length of the yarn on it- yay, recycling!)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this yet- I have the other half of the roving still to spin so that'll probably be at least another hundred more yards, which would make it enough for a small clothing item (maybe gloves or a waist cincher or something). Or I'll use it for some art dolls. Or maybe the clothing first, then the art doll with leftovers. Who knows?


And last, I'd like to share the drawing I finished the other day:

I did this drawing for a contest one of my FAE teammates is running on deviantart (the contest can be found here). It's drawn in markers and colored pencils, touched up a bit in Paintshop (mostly to adjust the colors because they came out all weird when I took a photo of my drawing. I didn't feel up to figuring out my parents' scanner, but now the green background doesn't look even). Hopefully it still looks okay!

As soon as I saw this cute dragon I knew that I had to draw it- I picked the pond as the background because the colors of the dragon just said "pond" to me. :) Apparently he's friends with a frog and a turtle.

Unfortunately, I've never drawn a pond before (or many backgrounds for that matter), so it didn't come out as well as I wanted it to. I guess you can figure out what it is though, right? This is why I tend to crochet, sculpt, and make jewelry- my drawing skills aren't the best, lol! But hey, an opportunity to draw a dragon- like I'd pass on that. ;)


I'm hoping I feel better because I need to make my charm for the ABST charity bracelet thing, finish the stuff for my giveaway that I did a few weeks ago, and list a few more things (speaking of which I'm almost out of finished necklaces- I should make some more!).

7 comments:

Rose Works Jewelry said...

I love your camera case! It came out beautifully :D

Merily said...

Thank you! I was trying to make something that wouldn't look too out of place if I wore it to the Renfaire or something. I think I still want it to look more leafy, though. :D

Arlene said...

How clever you are, making your own camera bag. It's really pretty, and I love the green color and leafy design!

Merily said...

Aww, shucks, thanks! I didn't really want to buy a case because they're always so bland and ...well, cost money. ;)

Flores Hayes said...

a great find for panda fanatic!
my roommate and i LOVE this bag
hkpanda.freetzi.com

Athena's Armoury said...

Your camera case looks great! Good job!

Merily said...

Thanks! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...