Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Art update- jewelry and some related LotR dorkiness

Man, how do I keep falling behind with these art posts? I have so much stuff I want to share that I'm going to move the plushies I just finished to their own post, probably for Friday. They deserve their own post and not get lost in the jumble of jewelry.

Yup, this is a jumble of jewelry (I like that term!) post today. ;) To start, I listed this necklace this week. This is one I had made in the summer, but completely forgot about:
Floral Ba-Gua Octagon Beaded Hemp Necklace or Anklet

Floral Ba-Gua Octagon Beaded Hemp Necklace- it's in my Artfire shop here and my Etsy shop here.
One of my Plurk friends gave me the name for that; I had no idea the discs had significance. I love learning new things like that! I haven't made any necklaces in a few months, so after the holidays I'll work on more. I'd also like to start doing more with hemp than just crocheting it; I'm going to try to get a book out of the library on it or see if I can get a book for Christmas.


And now for the motherload of earrings; I think these spawn while I'm not looking. ;)

These two are custom orders I made this week:
Blue and Silver Girly Gamer Cartilage Chain Earring

Yup, a dice earring- wee, geekiness! I'll have to make more of these (right now I just have a pink one in my shop) because hey, I love dice. ;) These beads are weird because the 1 dot is on a different side (they were made wrong), but they're still cute. I'm tempted to start making other sided dice out of clay, though.

Red and Silver Celtic Heart Double Cartilage Chain Earring

I've never done one in just a silver chain before but I really love how this came out (and I don't even like red!). I'll have to remember how striking the silver color looks when I make more earrings. ;)

And now a bunch of random earrings; I'm not linking to them individually (there's just too many!) but you can find them in my Etsy shop and Artfire shop.
Purple, Blue and Silver Cartilage Chain Earring
Purple, Blue and Silver Cartilage Chain Earring

Red and Black Double Cartilage Chain Earring
Red and Black Double Cartilage Chain Earring

Hot Pink and Black Double Cartilage Chain Earring
Hot Pink and Black Double Cartilage Chain Earring
(This one was inspired by my sister with her obsession with hot pink, black, and zebra print. I'm going to make her something like this for Christmas.)

 Black and Silver Moon and Sun Cartilage Chain Earring
Black and Silver Moon and Sun Cartilage Chain Earring
(This one is cool because there's a moon on the other side of the sun bead.)

 Ice Crystals Blue and Purple Cartilage Chain Earring
Ice Crystals Blue and Purple Cartilage Chain Earring

And last but not least:
Green and Black Leaf Cartilage Chain Earring - Leaves of the Woodland
Green and Black Leaf Cartilage Chain Earring - Leaves of the Woodland


This one is special because it's the start of a series of wonderfully dorky earrings- they're inspired by Lord of the Rings. This one is Mirkwood; I'll likely do another related one later to represent Eryn Lasgalen after the forest was cleansed. (Of course I had to start with my home forest for this series of earrings!) I'm hoping to list the next of those today; so far I have ones for Rivendell, The Shire, and Rohan made up, but I have ideas for Gondor and Lothlórien, too.

These aren't exactly canon, I guess; they're how I interpret the colors and designs of the locations- for example, I made Mirkwood green and black to represent the darkness of the forest, but with silver and light green leaves because there's still beauty in the wood even then.
Heh, I feel like a tour guide: "To your left you'll see some large, very old trees with lovely moss growing down the one side, but be careful not to step... crap, they all got caught in a giant spider web... and now the black squirrels are chewing on their boots. I lose more visitors that way!" Yeah, not a prime location for tourists, but what's an elfling to do? ;)

As I said above, you can find the cartilage chain earrings in my Etsy shop and Artfire shop.

5 comments:

Athena's Armoury said...

meri, you cracked me up with that bit at the end. =D I very much like that you're doing your own interpretation of LotR stuff. It's so much more interesting to see how an artist's take on something that they were inspired by rather than something so similar it may as well be a copy.

Rose Works Jewelry said...

You have been ONE busy girl! :P I Love your story at the end about the earring :)

mermaiden said...

really really dig the leaves on the earrings. here's a thought: can you use a decorated post as well as the plain ones?
i've seen stars, flowers, dragonflies- that might be a great addition to your repertoire!

Merily said...

lol, I'm glad you guys liked the little bit at the end. I should start doing humor writing again (I used to do LotR parodies), or at least a bit in my blog posts. ;)

And I'm glad that you like my interpretations of LotR, Janine. I'd much rather do my own thing than imitate someone else.

That's a good idea, Julie! I haven't seen those earring posts yet but I'll have to look closer the next time I'm at the craft store. Those would be cute. :)

diamond rings houston said...

wow beautiful designs I have saw here..awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...