My blog has moved! Please visit elflingcreations.com for updates and art.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

LotR Read-Along- Following the Hobbits





I somehow managed to injure my sides (at least I hope it's just pulled muscles), so I haven't been able to crochet much for a few days. The good thing about that is that I've been able to read more. :)

I'm about 1/2 of the way through The Fellowship of the Ring now; the hobbits are talking to Strider and they're wondering where Merry is. The first time I experienced this book was when I was a kid (maybe 8?) when my dad read it to me; for some reason he never read me TTT or RotK, so I didn't get to reading those until high school (I'm not sure why it took me so long to read them). My dad has an awesome box set of the books from the 60's or 70's, so this is what my first look at this book was:


And now onto the questions! These come from this month's host of the read-along. :)
If you’ve been with us since the beginning, how do you feel about the narrator compared to the narrator in The Hobbit?
Honestly, the narrator isn't something I particularly notice in a book; when I read, the main thing I enjoy and concentrate on are the characters, followed by the plot. I guess this narrator is somewhat less funny, though.

How’s your pace going? Is it smooth sailing or have you found passages that are difficult to get through?
Smooth sailing, although I admit to taking my time with this series. I can't rush my favorite books and speed through them, like how I normally read.

If you’ve read this series before, is The Fellowship of the Ring, for the most part, as you remembered? If not, is it what you expected or something else?
It's been a few years since I've read this book last (and I'd seen the movies more recently) so there was a lot I'd forgotten about. For one thing, I'd forgotten just how smart Merry is! He figures out about the ring before anyone else (and he's the only one who discovers it), he's seen Bilbo's book, he figures out that Frodo is leaving and plans their leaving Buckland, somehow he seems to know the most about the Barrow-Wights, and if I remember right, he also figures out how to open the door to Moria. No wonder he's always been my favorite character (and why I've had a crush on him since I was a kid! I love smart, funny guys, and Merry's also got goofiness going for him). I can't believe I forgot! So basically as I'm reading this, my crush on that particular hobbit is coming out again. ;)

Are you using any of the extra features- maps and indexes, for instance- in your book?
I'm following the hobbits with the map in the front of my book, but the map isn't very detailed (and you can't see anything in the center because of the binding), so I think I'm going to have to find a better map online and print it out. I have a huge wall poster of Middle Earth, but it's in storage.


So far my favorite quotes are Merry's "You don't allow for the inquisitiveness of friends" to Frodo and the scene with Frodo and the elf Gildor:
"That Gandalf should be late, does not bode well. But it is said: Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. The choice is yours: to go or wait."
"And it is also said," answered Frodo: "Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes."
"Is it indeed?" laughed Gildor. "Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

I wish Gildor had been a main character- I really like that elf!


I'm so glad I found this read-along. I just love these books so much, so I'm glad I have a good excuse to read them again! ;)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I think I recall liking Gildor, too. I think I included him in a little illustrated story I wrote for my French class called Les Adventures de Merry et Pippin (or however it was spelled in French; it's been a while).

I really need to read LotR again. It's been so long...

Beth F said...

I too really like Merry. The one thing I particularly disliked about the movies was the horrible way all four hobbits were portrayed -- as if they were stupid or silly or naive little boys.

Merily said...

You should do a reread, Niere. :) And that story sounds cute!

Yeah, that got on my nerves, too, Beth. The characters *looked* the way I pictured them, but they didn't always act the right way. I really disliked movie-Frodo, but I don't recall ever having a problem with him in the books.
You're right- the movies really made the hobbits look incompetent and dumb and they're really not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...