My blog has moved! Please visit elflingcreations.com for updates and art.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Book review- Glimmerglass

Book review time! Last month I was lucky enough to snag a book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program: Glimmerglass by Jenna Black.



For a quick summary, Glimmerglass by Jenna Black is the first book in the Faeriewalker series. It's about a teenaged girl named Dana who is half human/half fae, which makes her a Faeriewalker- one of the extremely rare (the book makes it sound like they crop up once in a lifetime- the last one had been 75 years previous, I believe) individuals who can move between Earth and Faerie. Faeriewalkers have their own special abilities, but since Dana doesn't come into them in this book, we only really get to hear what they can do rather than see it. In this book she's little more than a pawn, with her fate in other peoples' hands and people trying to kidnap her for their political gain. Her family life isn't much better what with an alcoholic mother and a father she never knew being the cause of all this chaos. It's much better and more interesting than that sounds, though, I promise! I just really don't want to give too much away.

I was a bit iffy when I first opened this book, because teenage protagonists can be hit-or-miss, and a book written in the first person about a teenager is in even more danger of said character being unappealing. I'm glad to say that I had absolutely no problem with Dana- she's well-written and balanced. She may be a pawn, but she refuses to take that sitting down, and on the flip side, she's not so strong-headed or self-centered that the reader doesn't like her. And yes, she's a teenager, but she really does sound like she should; when she gets upset or angry, she reacts the way you'd expect someone in her situation to react.

As for the plot, I really liked that, too. There was action, but also a lot of character interactions, so that was a good balance. It started off a bit slowly but once the plot picked up, I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to know what happened next. We don't get to learn a lot about all of the cast of characters, but the ones that do take center stage are detailed and even get some character development. My favorites are Kimber (a female fae who becomes Dana's best friend) and Keane (the son of Dana's bodyguard)- I'm hoping they show up in the next book because both of those characters actually interested me more than the main one and I want to know more about them. :) It did seem kind of odd to me that even though the Fae apparently don't have many children, so many of them are around the same age as the main character- I think I must just be used to other fantasy things where elven-types age differently (more slowly, I guess).

I was honestly afraid this book would read like Twilight (I couldn't even get through the first few chapters of that garbage), which made me worried about the writing and plot since it's a young adult book about a teenage girl and a supernatural twist. Once again, I had no need for worry- this book is very well-written and I could find absolutely nothing wrong with the writing style; it was witty, creative, descriptive, and nothing was wrong with the wording or pace (I'm quite picky about stuff like that, to say the least). I was even impressed when I only noticed one typo in the entire book; often early reviewer books aren't fixed completely yet, so that was a nice surprise. This really has nothing to do with the review, but I figured I'd point it out anyway since it made my word-obsessed self happy, lol.

Overall I really liked this book and am eagerly awaiting the next one in the series- I'll give this 4 stars out of 5. I think that once the main character starts to control her own life, the next books will be even better.

2 comments:

Rose Works Jewelry said...

They don't have this one at my library yet (obviously, it came out today :P) but I ordered one of her other books! And put this one on my list of "too find" books.

Merily said...

lol! Yeah, since it's an early review one, it wasn't out yet when I got it. I think only one ER book I got was an older one. I haven't read anything else by her yet, so you'll have to let me know what you think. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...