Friday, February 11, 2011

Vive L'Amour Tour / Top Five: Mojo Magic


Yup, joining in another Random Magic blog tour- what can I say, I really like this book! ;) You can find the youtube trailer for the book here, its page on Amazon here, and my book review is here. Click the banner to be taken to the tour schedule.

One of the central themes of Random Magic is love, so this blog tour theme is definitely apt! As much as I enjoyed the budding romance between the two main characters of this story, Winnie and Henry, my favorite couple is two of the more minor characters, Callie and Nevermore. Callie is actually Calliope, the muse of writing and poetry, and Nevermore is her sarcastic (but helpful) shakeshifting sidekick. (As you can probably guess from his name, he's a raven.) As we discover from Nevermore at the end of the story, Callie is a closet romantic, which writers certainly take advantage of. Ah, inspiration.

My personal theme for this tour is "Mojo Magic". This may seem random, but let me explain. I'm using it to not just mean magic, but the creativity that goes into it, and how, through creativity, even the most normal of objects can become magical. Callie may not be the muse of artists, but as the muse to writers, it's much the same thing. She gives the inspiration to create, from nothing but a single idea, anything. Books may appear on the surface to just be paper and ink and letters, but it's through the author's creativity that those things turn extraordinary and magical. Books take the reader to another time and place. They provoke emotion and thought. The way the author arranges those letters can make one happy, sad, angry... all through just the power of his or her creativity.

Throughout the book, Winnie (yup, back to her- she's the main character who happens to be a witch) uses her wits, magic and creativity to turn ordinary objects into the extraordinary. Her small rubber duck becomes a boat that can turn into a submarine. A feather she picks up along the way becomes the best weapon against bloodthirsty pirates. Even her knitting needles are used for something unusual: they're her story-weaving needles, and, using a strand of her hair for yarn, she knits magic to get herself and Henry out of a dangerous situation.

As an artist, turning something mundane into something unique is my forte and... well, obsession, so I really enjoyed how Winnie was able to use her magic this way. There's nothing like the feeling of taking something that others would overlook or ignore and, using just your imagination and hands, turn it into something unique that had never been created before.

This is something all artists (and yes, writers, too, of course. Have to say that so as to not offend Callie!) do- simple supplies combined with the imagination (okay, and some help from those ever-fickle muses) mixes into art. And sometimes that almost-magical result can be put to actual magic: amulets, divination tools and magical materials, for example.

Top Five: Mojo Magic

I'd like to share five magical items, handmade by artists. (Didn't think I could post about art without sharing some, did ya?) Here are some items from my teammates who took simple materials and turned them into extraordinary, lovely, and unique magic- hopefully they won't mind me sharing the love. ;)


Faerie Triple Goddess of Love Choker with Pentacle by FaerieKat


Rose and Garnet Polymer Clay Pendulum by intothedawn


Come to Me Lover Amulet with extra bottle of Come to Me Lover Oil by TheWellAndSpindle


Be Mine Knitted Heart Love Charm by Greenfingers

And here's my contribution to the theme:

Purple and Pink Heart Elder Futhark Runestones - Love Magic by merigreenleaf


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Bonus: Sweet treat – Classic love poem

"The Lady of Shalott" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
There she weaves by night and day
A magic web with colours gay.
She has heard a whisper say,
A curse is on her if she stay
To look down to Camelot.
She knows not what the curse may be,
And so she weaveth steadily,
And little other care hath she,
The Lady of Shalott...

The sun came dazzling thro' the leaves,
And flamed upon the brazen greaves
Of bold Sir Lancelot.
A redcross knight for ever kneel'd
To a lady in his shield,
That sparkled on the yellow field,
Beside remote Shalott...


Free MP3 download


8 comments:

faeriekat said...

"Random Magic" sounds like a book I'd love, so I put it in my Amazon wish list. Thanks for choosing my choker to help represent mojo magic; I think that's so cool! And "The Lady of Shalott" is my favorite Loreena McKennitt song; it was very interesting to hear it read in its original poetic form. What a great post! Mwah!

narrativethreads said...

Ohhh, I've never heard of this book, I might have to check it out. Great post, thanks for including my little heart.

Kulsuma said...

Those are great works of art! Thanks for sharing. Very pretty!
I wish I was good at arts and crafts. Alas, it was not to be.

vvb32 reads said...

the knitted heart captures my fancy. love the tennyson poem - i'll have to find more of it.

Kiwi.. said...

They are so gorgeous!
So magical-cheesy i know, couldn't help myself!:P I <3 the "Love Choker!"..is this stuff up for sale?

Happy V-day!!
Spreading the love-<3
x

Misha said...

Thanks for sharing all this! All of them look so pretty, especially the purple and pink Heart Elder Futhark Runestones.

PinkStuff28 said...

they all look nice , but Purple and Pink Heart Elder Futhark Runestones is my fave ;)

Meri Greenleaf said...

If you guys haven't read it yet, you should definitely read the book. :)

Yup, the stuff's for sale- I linked to the listing pages with the images and below them.

I'm just happy I could feature some awesome artists in here. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...