My blog has moved! Please visit elflingcreations.com for updates and art.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

My inspiration tends to give me goblins...

I know this is a subject I've blogged about before so sorry if you've heard this before or get at all offended about me gushing about said subject. The current blogfire theme is "Who in your family inspires you?"

That's an easy one for me: my fiancé. He's into fantasy and he's an artist, too. His Dungeons and Dragons game was what got me back into creative writing and his (usually goofy) D&D plots and encounters have spawned their fair share of art from me- anything in my shop called "Underwater Wyvern" for one thing. And because he's such an awesome Dungeon Master, I've become his apprentice; I'm now taking the reins as "Dojo Mistress" (as one of my friends calls it) in my own campaign.

And his art... well, lets just say that I have a wee bit of an obsession with making dolls of his characters. He draws a comic called Goblins Like These- he hasn't had a chance to work on it, but he's still doodling those characters frequently. And whenever he draws a character, I immediately want to turn it into a plushie. (Someday this may be marketable, should he become a famous cartoonist. Or so I can dream, lol!)

Here are some examples. Look, goblins!


Finished goblins!


And a kobold, too:
Heathen D. Pistolwhip, Kobold Sales Professional (In doll form, of course!)


And the best inspirational thing? He's utterly and completely supportive of the fact that I'm an artist. He's always there to lend a hand with my art (he drills the geeky dice for me, sculpts me tiny clay weapons, epoxies everything that needs to be glued...) and he's my official salesman at craft shows (usually with the line "Hey, you look like a guy who could use a pair of horns"). He's my best friend, my love and my knight in... well, maybe not shiny armor, but awesomely handmade armor since I'm sure he could throw together something like that. ;)

In short, my Joshy is my inspiration. And he's cute, too! ;)


4 comments:

Rose Works Jewelry said...

Oh my gosh that's so cute! I LUVS your plushies :D

Meri Greenleaf said...

Aww, thanks, Ruthie! Josh was quite happy when he read this. I think I made his day. :D

And speaking of plushies, be on the lookout for one. ;)

Janet Bocciardi said...

Those plushies are adorable... uh, mean scary!

So sweet to read the love... keep it going all your lives, never forgetting what it feels like now. That's the advice I have for you after 20+ yrs of a happy marriage!

Meri Greenleaf said...

LOL! Thanks, Janet. And I'll try to keep that advice in mind. I've been with my fiancé for 8 years now, so that's a good start, right? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...