Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Elfsisters' Art Adventures, Week 7 - Fun with a funnel




Hooray, it's week 7 of the Elfsisters' Art Adventures! This week we mailed out our journals (I'm swapping with Ruthie for a short time and my fiancé is swapping with my friend Diana) but before doing so did the "Make a funnel, drink some water" page so we had something to blog about this week (next week we'll blog the mail page). And can I say, this one was messy and fun! Or, rather, it was messy for me, but not for Josh- he took the more boring route.

WTJ - Funnel page before I turned it into a cup

This was taken before it became a cup- it's all pretty and normal-looking still. On it I drew two wonky beach balls (one looks like an Easter egg because apparently I'd forgotten how to draw a beach ball), two rubber ducks, a toy sail boat, lots of water drops, and my fiancé drew a water elemental (that wave looking thing). You know, aquatic things- er... minus the accidental Easter egg. LOL!

I used washable crayola markers in the hope that I could have some fun with that. And it worked out exactly like I wanted it to: messy and colors all over my hands.

WTJ - Drinking from the funnel page 1

This was as I started to drink from the cup- as you can see, it immediately sprung a leak from the bottom.

WTJ - Drinking from the funnel page 2

Sipping from the cup lasted all of about three seconds before it completely broke apart in my hands. And then proceeded to leak marker all over me. As an artist who usually has her hands and clothing covered in art supplies, this was fun and par for the course. ;) In hindsight, I should have waited for the marker to dry before taping it and filling it with water, but I've never been known for my patience.

WTJ - Funnel page drying

This is the funnel when it was mostly dry- as you can see, the washable marker did smear like crazy and I had to use a paper towel to sop it up so it wouldn't stain everything around me. I don't mind my hands being odd colors, but I figured my fiancé's mom wouldn't want her kitchen counter blue. ;)

WTJ - Funnel page finished

And here's the funnel flattened and taped back into the book. It was actually really easy to make flat again; the tape had mostly unstuck as I was drinking from it, so it wanted to go back to flat on its own.

The one rubber duck I drew you can still see, and the wonky beach balls are kinda visible, but the bottom duck and the water elemental are almost completely smeared. It's hard to see, but the first few letters in "Make" and "Funnel" ended up over top of that lower yellow blob that was once a ducky.

All in all, lots of smearing and blurring, which was exactly what I was hoping for! :D My fiancé drank out of his cup before doing anything to it- I thought that was rather boring, but be said he didn't want to drink marker. Sheesh, there wasn't much marker that got into the water while I was drinking it, and it's just crayolas.

I've found that Josh is taking a much different approach to his Wreck This Journal than I am. Where I'm trying to make it as colorful and randomly artsy as possible, he's just doing what he can to wreck it and plans to have no book left over when he's done. Which I know is the point, but I'd like to be able to keep this journal (hence why I'm not putting food into it like he is; I know there's a food page, but even for that I'm not going to use anything sticky. I can't keep a book if it attracts bugs!) and to me, just having it fall apart isn't fun. I want color and lots of it! Then a way to keep that color so I still have it in the future, ya know? I'm making a mess, but not so sure if I'm wrecking. Maybe I needed more of a "Mess This Journal" or "Smear this journal in too many art supplies". Heh.



And crud, I still didn't get anything Lord of the Rings done for our June drawing challenge yet! Don't worry, though- I really really want to do something for my dad for father's day, so I'll have something LotR next week. And if it helps my case any, I did also take my dad to see "Fellowship of the Ring" at the theater Tuesday night for an early father's day present. So I did get my fill of LotR this week! ;)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Want to join the art adventure?
Ruthie and I would love to have you along on our art adventures! If you want to know more, check out out this post and if you're playing along, feel free to join our flickr group. Each week we do a different WTJ page and every month is a new drawing challenge.

This week Ruthie is going to be hosting the WTJ page and you'll be able to find the page we'll be doing next on her blog soon. If you're joining us, you'll be able to drop off your blog link there for your "funnel" page (or the LotR drawing challenge) once she gets that post up.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm not so sure I'd drink out of a funnel with marker on it either (well, on the inside at least). XD

I actually did my art assignment for the week. Yay!

Meri Greenleaf said...

LOL! Well, the marker was on the outside, but the paper was pretty thin.

Yay! I'll head over now. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...